Job Title: Content and Proposal Writer
Reports To: Director of Online Learning Research and Innovation
Department: Center for Online Learning Research and Innovation
Location: Lansing Office
The role of the content and proposal writer is to review, revise and polish both written and multimedia products related to research projects and other publications authored by MVU. Audiences for these work products include internal staff members and external stakeholders such as parents, school personnel, online learning experts, legislators and foundation executives. The writer will also contribute to grant writing and reporting efforts. In addition to working within the Center, the writer will also spend time working within Fund Development.
• Review, revise, and polish a variety of written works including literature reviews, research articles, evaluations of online learning tools and resources, consumer awareness reports, and policy briefs;
• Update and maintain a clearinghouse for research reports, academic studies, evaluations and other information related to K-12 online learning;
• Develop and transform ideas into case statement materials, including grant proposals;
• Provide development input for written institutional materials (eNewsletter & Annual Report, for example); and
• Perform other job-related functions as may be desired and/or assigned by Directors of OLRI and Fund Development.
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
• Evidence of outstanding written and oral communication skills to convey complex information effectively and in a professional voice;
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple ongoing projects and deliver high-quality work products on schedule;
• Demonstrated interpersonal skill and ability to work effectively both in a team context and independently with minimal supervision;
• Experience in communicating ideas through words, tables, charts, graphics, video, etc.;
• Expertise with copy editing and professional publication standards; and
• Demonstrated experience with proposal writing or other fund-raising efforts.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
Desired Professional Experience
• Experience in planning, developing, conducting, and managing projects;
• Publication experience including articles in peer-reviewed journals, white papers or other issue-oriented reports available to the public, or policy briefs; and
• Experience with state, federal, and foundational/corporate grant writing and reporting requirements preferred.
• Sitting in a normal seated position for extended periods of time
• Ability to see within normal parameters
• Ability to hear within normal range
• Ability to move about
Prior to employment, a successful candidate must –
• Submit to a criminal background check if requested (conducted by outside party)
• Submit a disclosure of unprofessional conduct from any previous employer
• Submit and pass pre-employment substance abuse testing if requested
• Provide a photocopy of their valid Michigan driver’s license
• Sign a copy of the MVU Non-disclosure and Confidentiality Agreement and MVU Acceptable Use Policy for Computing Resources.
This description is a general statement of required major duties and responsibilities performed on a regular and continuous basis. It does not exclude other duties as assigned.
MVU offers an excellent benefit package, including 403b, health, dental & vision, life, AD&D, STD & LTD, paid holiday & paid vacation.
Applying for the Position
Interested candidates are requested to send a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information for three professional references (not letters of recommendation) to MVU. Send the complete packet of information — you will not be considered for the position unless you provide all documents requested — to Donna Abel by fax (517-336-7787), by email (please insert your name and “Content and Proposal Writer” in the subject line) to email@example.com, or by mail: MVU c/o Donna Abel, 3101 Technology Blvd., Suite G, Lansing, MI 48910.
Click here for the complete job description (PDF). The submission deadline is Oct. 12, 2012.
Please include your email address so that a confirmation email can be sent to you upon receipt of your complete application packet.
MVU is an equal opportunity employer.