Also from yesterday’s inbox…
AERA to Hold Capitol Hill Briefing on LGBTQ Issues in Education
On July 9, AERA will host a live streamed Capitol Hill briefing on LGBTQ issues in education, including bullying and K-12 students, student achievement and educational attainment, the challenges conducting research, and recommendations for further research.
Deadline for 2016 Annual Meeting Submissions Quickly Approaching
Held in AERA’s Centennial Year, the 2016 Annual Meeting will illuminate and enhance the role of education researchers as public scholars who contribute to public understanding, political debate, and professional practice in increasingly diverse democracies in the U.S. and around the globe. Deadline for submissions: July 22.
AERA Announces 2017 RRE Coeditors
Maisha Winn and Mariana Souto-Manning have been appointed coeditors for the 2017 edition (volume 41) of Review of Research in Education (RRE), the annual AERA journal that focuses on a chosen topic every year.
Executive Director Levine Presents at Two Research Meetings
AERA Executive Director Felice J. Levine presented at two high-profile research meetings during June. On June 3, Levine served on a panel that discussed international perspectives of advocacy for the social sciences and humanities at the 2015 Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences in Ottawa, Canada.
More than 1,100 Sign Letter Opposing Student Privacy Bill
The education research community, led by AERA and the Knowledge Alliance, sent Senator David Vitter (R-LA) a letter signed by more than 1,100 organizations and individuals opposing the Student Privacy Protection Act (S. 1341), a bill he introduced.
House Panel Approves Cuts to Department of Education Funding
For the first time in three years, the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education has passed a funding bill.
AERA Responds to Call for Public Comment on the Federal Information Technology Acquisition Reform Act
A provision added to Defense Department-related legislation in December 2014 has the potential to affect every agency throughout the federal government.
NSF Spending Bills Move Forward
The House of Representatives and the Senate Appropriations Committee have now passed Commerce, Justice, Science and Related Agencies appropriations bills, which include funding for the National Science Foundation (NSF).
National Board of Education Sciences to Act on IES Funding, FERPA Concerns
The National Board of Education Sciences, which oversees the Institute of Education Sciences, met on June 8. The board passed a motion to draft a letter to congressional appropriators encouraging full funding for Institute of Education Sciences.
- Call for 2016 Annual Meeting Session Chairs and Discussants – Submissions accepted June 2 – August 28
- Request for Recommendations for Prospective Nominees for 2016 AERA Elections – Deadline: July 24
- AERA Open Special Topic Calls for Papers:
- Implementation and Preliminary Effects of the Common Core Standards – Deadline: July 1
- Neuroscience, Learning, and Educational Practice – Deadline: July 1
- Family Socioeconomic Background and Educational Mobility – Deadline: Submissions encouraged by July 1
- Student Learning Outcomes in Higher Education – Deadline: August 1
- Call for Minority Fellowship Applications – Deadline: November 2
- Call for Literature Reviews for Centennial Volume-Year of Review of Educational Research
Recent media coverage of AERA and AERA-published research
- French fries with your home?
The Boston Globe, June 14
- Three wrong-headed ideas driving reform of U.S. teaching force
The Washington Post, June 12
- Online classes less successful than their traditional counterparts
Daily Emerald (University of Oregon), June 9
- What researchers say about texting, immersing and first-grade math
The Modesto Bee, June 9
- What teachers really need to stay, improve and succeed
The Washington Post, June 1
AERA Highlights is published by the American Educational Research Association monthly to inform members and others interested in education research about the latest news and developments in AERA and in the field.Editor: Felice J. LevineManaging Editors: Tony Pals and John NeikirkContributors: Juliane Baron, Jessica Campbell, Bridget Jameson, Christy Talbot
This email was sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. You are receiving this email because of your association with AERA. Click the following link to change your preference or opt out of AERA emails: preferences
American Educational Research Association
1430 K Street, NW, Suite 1200
Washington, DC 20005