From Friday’s inbox…
Past President Philip Jackson Dies
Philip W. Jackson, an AERA past president (1989–1990) and professor emeritus at the University of Chicago, died July 21 at age 86.
Oakes, Levine Thank Knowledge Forum Crowdsourcing Participants
The “Call for Knowledge and Findings” issued by AERA President Jeannie Oakes and AERA Executive Director Felice J. Levine in April generated an impressive response.
AERA to Host WERA Focal Meeting as Part of 2016 AERA Annual Meeting: Submissions Still Open – Deadline: September 22
The World Education Research Association seeks submissions on topics of worldwide scope and significance for its 2016 Focal Meeting.
AERA Announces Recipients of 2015–2016 Minority Dissertation ProgramNine exemplary graduate students have been selected to receive the 2015–2016 AERA Minority Dissertation Fellowship in Education Research and Travel Awards.
Research Policy and Funding News
Friends of IES Sign-On Letter Calls on Congress to Oppose Cuts – Deadline:September 3
AERA and the Learning and Education Academic Research Network have drafted a letter to House members expressing strong opposition to proposed cuts in funding for the IES.
Senate Considers NSF Reauthorization, AERA Offers Comments; House Bill Requires NSF Grants in the “National Interest”
AERA commented on a bipartisan Senate bill to reauthorize the National Science Foundation and a House bill that would require NSF grants to be “in the national interest.”
FERPA Bill Introduced in the House
The Student Privacy Protection Act introduced in the House eliminates a provision in an earlier draft of great concern to AERA and education researchers.
Impact of Education on Mortality Addressed at Hill Briefing
Over 100 people attended the July 27 congressional briefing “Live Long and Prosper: The Impact of Education on Mortality,” organized by the Population Association of America and cosponsored by AERA.
NSF and NAEP Boards Advance Education Agenda
The boards of the National Science Foundation and the National Assessment of Educational Progress met in August to discuss STEM education and strategic planning, respectively.
AERA New Calls
AERA Calls for Award Nominations
The American Educational Research Association seeks nominations for the 2016 AERA Awards. The submission deadline for all 2016 AERA-sponsored awards is November 5, 2015.
AERA Calls for 2016 Fellows Nominations
AERA is pleased to announce the call for nominations for 2016 AERA Fellows. Nominations are due November 10, 2015.
AERA Calls for Education Research Service Projects Proposals – Deadline:December 15
AERA invites proposals for the Education Research Service Projects program, which grants awards to education researchers providing pro bono service to organizations in need.
AERA Reminder Calls
- Call for Volunteer Session Chairs and Discussants for 2016 Annual Meeting – Submissions Accepted June 2–August 28
- AERA Open “Special Topic” Calls for Papers:
- Classroom Assessment as the Co-Regulation of Learning – Deadline: February 1, 2016
- Changes in Early-Grade Education: Results From the Two ECLS-K Surveys – Submissions Encouraged by February 1, 2016
- Call for Literature Reviews for Centennial Volume-Year of Review of Educational Research
Research, Grant, and Fellowship Calls
- Call for Dissertation and Research Grant Applications – Deadline: September 10
- Call for Education Research Conference Proposals – Deadline: September 15
- Call for Minority Fellowship Applications – Deadline: November 2
AERA in the News
Recent media coverage of AERA and AERA-published research
- “Genetically Inclined to Learn“
Insider Higher Ed, August 20
- “What Do Genes Say About Education? More Than You’d Think.”
Education Week, August 20
- “Morning Education: Fuel for Sibling Rivalry”
Politico, August 20
- “Pencils down: More U.S. colleges drop standardized tests”
Reuters, August 16
- “Students who need teachers most are least likely to get higher-skilled ones”
The Spokesman-Review, August 14
AERA Highlights is published by the American Educational Research Association monthly to inform members and others interested in education research about the latest news and developments in AERA and in the field.Editor: Felice J. LevineManaging Editors: Tony Pals and John NeikirkContributors: Morgan Banea, Juliane Baron, Jessica Campbell, Andrew Middleditch, Christy Talbot, and Martha Yager
This email was sent to email@example.com. You are receiving this email because of your association with AERA. Click the following link to change your preference or opt out of AERA emails: preferences
American Educational Research Association
1430 K Street, NW, Suite 1200
Washington, DC 20005