So, my sabbatical for the Winter 2011 at Wayne State University (WSU) is over. It actually officially ended on 06 May. Looking at my goals for that final week, I wrote:
For my final official week of sabbatical, I would like to finish my National Science Foundation’s Innovative Technology Experiences for Students and Teachers (ITEST) program proposal and the revise and re-submit manuscript entitled “It’s not that tough: Students speak about their online learning experiences.” I will also need to finish a presentation for the Manitoba Association for Distance Learning and Teaching, which I have to deliver on Saturday. Also, the deadline for proposals to the Australian Association for Research in Education conference proposal deadline next Sunday, which I’d like to keep my options open. Finally, next week I have a presentation at Victoria University that I’d like to get done before the week is out. Finally, there are always that revise and re-submit manuscript entitled “It’s not that tough: Students speak about their online learning experiences,” and those two manuscripts I am working on with that New Zealand colleague that I can pick and poke at.
Over the past seven days I was able to finish my National Science Foundation’s Innovative Technology Experiences for Students and Teachers (ITEST) program proposal, along with a proposal for the Australian Association for Research in Education conference. I also delivered my presentation for the Manitoba Association for Distance Learning and Teaching, and have prepared my presentation for Victoria University tomorrow. I was not able to complete the revise and re-submit manuscript entitled “It’s not that tough: Students speak about their online learning experiences” or do any work on those two manuscripts I am working on with that New Zealand colleague.
As I mentioned last week, I wanted to provide a complete accounting of my productivity during my sabbatical semester (similar to what I did mid-sabbatical in Sabbatical Update – Week Of 07 March). By the end of this week I will have:
- 5 manuscripts submitted (1 sole authored/7 co-authored)
- 3 book chapters (1 sole authored/ 2 co-authored)
- 6 National Science Foundation grant proposals submitted
- 1 additional external grant proposal submitted
- 2 internal grant proposals submitted
- 4 conference presentations
- 11 professional development presentations
- 11 conference proposals submitted
- 2 development projects completed
- 1 new course syllabus developed
While this is good – and I am very happy with what I was able to accomplish, I should note that back in Sabbatical Update – Week Of 14 March I indicated:
As I have been thinking about it over the past week – particularly after I posted my productivity as of the halfway point of my sabbatical semester – I began to think about the manuscripts that I have been selecting for completion. I’ll be honest and say that I have a lot that are close to completion. In fact, I have the following manuscripts that are close to completion (most of which are being written with students and colleagues):
- It’s not that tough: Students speak about their online learning experiences (re-submission/data from 2006)
- Students’ perceptions of effective web-based design for secondary school students (original submission/data from 2006)
- Examination of the use of tools in K-12 online course development (original submission/data from 2006)
- Analyzing homemade PowerPoint game questions: Testing proponents assumptions (original submission/data from 2008)
- Curriculum to prepare teachers for virtual schooling (original submission/data from 2008-09)
- Career Forward: A course for meeting the K-12 online learning requirement (original submission/data from 2009)
- Time and responsibility: Examining the volunteer workload of school-based personnel in one distance education program (original submission/data from 2009)
- Putting the social into online learning: Social networking in a cyber school (re-submission/conceptual)
- Distance learning and virtual schooling in rural education: A review of the literature (re-submission/lit review)
- “I need a green axe”: Video game knowledge and your social studies classroom (re-submission/conceptual)
- Building the pyramids in history class: Linking historical understanding to games (re-submission/conceptual)
- Where are Tyria, Cantha and Elona? Exploring the case for teacher knowledge of commercially successful video games (re-submission/conceptual)
Plus there are three articles from my dissertation (data from 2005-06) that I can pull for each of my three research questions. As I have been thinking about this list over the past week, one of the things that strikes me is that the ones closest to submission or re-submission are the ones that don’t have data. And I have several up there with data that is going to get stale. One advantage I have is that we don’t have a lot of things being published in K-12 online learning, so data that is four and five years old is still useful because in many instances the design and delivery of K-12 online learning hasn’t changed, and no one else has written on the topic. However, at some point this data will be two stale and for the remaining seven or eight weeks of my sabbatical, I want to focus on getting that older data out the door.
Unfortunately, I was not able to make any headway on many of these manuscripts (in fact the one in red was the only one I was able to get completed). Overall, a productive sabbatical semester – and I have much of this summer to continue that forward momentum. Plus, I still have two and a half weeks to actually finish Sabbatical Research – Virtual Learning Network – which will involved a series of web-based digital stories, a final report to the Ministry, a couple of entries for the CORE Education blog, a couple recordings of EDTalks videos for CORE Education, and a white paper for CORE Education. Plus I have to get a new course developed around the same deadline.