From Wednesday’s inbox…
Sign up to receive a free subscription to the MindShare Learning
Report! Canada’s Leading, Learning, & Technology eMagazine.
Dear Thought Leader,
I’m pleased to share our Summer PD Top 10 news stories that illuminate Canada’s international leadership, excellence and innovative spirit!
- K12 Teacher of the Year
- K12 Administrator of the Year
- Post-Secondary Professor of the Year
- EdTech Business Leader of the Year
Award presentations will take place at the 7th Canadian EdTech Leadership Summit, Thursday, November 3 at MaRSDD, Toronto. Startups wishing to participate in the ‘Dragon’s Den’ style competition are encouraged to drop me a note with expressed interest.Registration to the Summit is now open. We hope to see you there!
As we’re preparing for our ‘Back to School’ MindShare Report we welcome your news and success stories.
Until next time, keep the digital learning curve steep!
Chief Digital Curator, The MindShare Learning Report™
President, MindShare Learning Technology™
1. BC Ministry of Education hires Delta School District Superintendent and CEO Academy Founding Member
C21 Canada would like to extend sincere congradualtions to C21 CEO board member Dianne Turner who has been appointed as Chief Educator for B.C.
The province has hired away the Delta school district’s superintendent for a key role in the Ministry of Education.
Dianne Turner has been with the school district for eight years, helping oversee innovations in teaching in Delta.
2. A MindShare Moment at ISTE16 with Global EdTech Legend Bruce Dixon from Melbourne Australia
3. Top 5 PD Tips for Enhancing your Teaching with Technology by Tim Gard
You’ve just finished your year of teaching and your itching for a way to use technology more effectively in your classroom program next year. You’re aware of your need to modify and redefine the teaching and learning tasks you have designed for students so that you can use technology in ways that go beyond your ‘comfort zone’. You have fresh new ideas, an eager attitude and a desire to take some risks. But where do you go to get that PD you need to take your classroom technology program beyond the norm? Where do you go to move your technology integration into a more profound stage of teaching and learning?
4. An ISTE 2016 Podcast with Jeff Lowe, VP, SMART Technologies on the future of SMART in light of their impending acquisition.
Lowe brought more than 22 years of marketing experience in technology and telecom sectors. He joined SMART from TELUS, a leading Canadian national telecommunications company, where as vice president of marketing, business solutions, he oversaw a team of 90 marketing professionals responsible for branding, marketing communications, product marketing and channel marketing.
5. A Canadian Educator’s Perspective of ISTE 2016 Award winning TDSB educator and MindShare advisory board member Sandra Chow
This year, the annual ISTE (International Society for Technology in Education) conference and expo was held in Denver, Colorado to 19500+ attendees and exhibitors. Attendees came from 73 different countries around the world, and Canada was definitely well represented in this year’s conference. Not only did we have many Canadians attending the conference as participants, but many influential Canadian educators were also presenters, including our very own Michelle Cordy…
6. $6 million to help connect students with coding, new curriculum and computers
Connecting students with the skills they need to succeed in our changing world is the key goal of British Columbia’s new curriculum – and $6 million announced today by Premier Christy Clark will invest in training for teachers to teach coding and the new curriculum, as well as for computers for classrooms.
7. C21 Canada announces the Launch of SHIFTING MINDS 4.0: Shifting Systems for Learning and Innovation Schulich School of Business, York University
Two leading documents are a sequel to Shifting Minds 3.0 Redefining the Learning Landscape in Canada. They are designed to help leaders continue to seek evidence and growth of innovative system cultures that promote competencies needed in a digital economy.
Click to download full documents:
Shifting Minds Imagine A New Generation
8. A MindShare Moment with Anne Flynn, Director, EdTech, National School Boards Association, on Community and Communication in Education as Driving Forces for Success
Dr. Ann Lee Flynn is the Director of Education Technology and State Association Services for the National School Boards Association. For 25 years, NSBA’s Technology Leadership Network has highlighted promising practices and emerging trends at its TLN Site Visits and annual conference by designing programming targeted to the needs of district leadership teams and school board members.
9. Exclusive Podcast with Patricia Gartland, Superintendent, Coquitlam S.D. in B.C. and Stephen Whiffin, Associate Director of Instruction – Learning and Information Technologies on Change Leadership and Innovation
10. Copyright-free material edging out Canadian educational texts
Are Canadian students being forced to learn from foreign textbooks?
That’s the concern of John Degen, executive director of the Writers’ Union of Canada.
“I hear again and again from professors and from teachers saying that they simply don’t feel they have access to enough Canadian works right now,” he told CBC News.
The MindShare Learning Report
Canada’s Leading, Learning & Technology eMagazine
88 The Pond Rd.
TEL Bldg. Suite, 1023
Toronto, ON M3J 1P3 Canada