For my Kiwi readers…
29th July 2016
View this email in your browser
Kia ora and welcome to the July newsletter for NZC online. This month we feature resources on the Olympic Games and explore the unique learning opportunities they provide.
Olympic games and the NZC
The Rio 2016 Olympic Games run from 5 to 21 August, and the Rio 2016 Paralympic Games take place from 7 to 18 September. These global events provide unique and vast opportunities for your students to learn.
Rio 2016 Olympic Games
This collection of teaching ideas and resources will help you share the Olympic spirit with your school and community.
Blog Post: Future focused learning and the Olympics
Our latest blog post encourages teachers to frame meaningful inquiries for students that foster the development of 21st century skills.
The Olympics and international capabilities
The Olympics is a great context for developing students’ international capabilities. International capabilities are the knowledge, skills, attitudes, dispositions, and values that make up the key competencies that enable people to live, work, and learn across national and cultural boundaries.This section of NZC Online provides resources for teachers to use and suggestions of ways to develop international capabilities with your class.
Want to connect with another Olympic classroom?
In this EDtalk Suzie Vesper describes the Taking IT Global project, a website offering the resources and tools to network with students from around the world. She also talks about TIGed, an education space where teachers can set up a virtual classroom.
Have you seen?
Curriculum resources on NZC – This part of the site is a collection of resources to support schools as they design and review their school curriculum. New content added recently includes links to the following research reports:
- Wellbeing for success: Effective practice
- Raising student achievement through targeted actions
- Accelerating student achievement: A resource for schools
Access these reports from either of the following sections:
- Curriculum research reports: This page is a library of research reports published to support The New Zealand Curriculum. Content here is organised by date, with the newest reports at the top. Add it to your bookmarks to make the latest published research easy to find.
- NZC resource bank: The resource bank on NZC groups information into categories. As well as research, you can browse for digital stories and links to other sites here.
Events coming up in term three
Cook Islands language week, starts 31 July
Cook Islands language week celebrates the identity, languages, and culture of students from the Cook Islands and students whose families are from the Cook Islands; supporting this group of learners to engage and achieve success.
International Languages week, starts 15 August
This special week provides an opportunity to showcase and promote languages and cultures in your school and communities.