From yesterday’s inbox…
Districts and Charter Schools,Please forward this E-lert to your school-level stakeholders. We often have enrollment information for counselors, grades for data managers, tips for lab facilitators, announcements for testing coordinators, and strategies for school leaders, all of whom support your district’s and school’s e-learning efforts. If you are having difficulty viewing this email, you may view it as a web page here.
NCVPS E-lert for July 14, 2016 – Summer Edition VI
2016June 20: Start of the Summer SessionJune 24: Last Day to RegisterJuly 1: Last Day to DropAugust 12: Last Day of Summer SessionAugust 18: Final Grades PostedSee the complete NCVPS calendar at this link.
Celebrate & Connect
Connect with us on Twitter!Find us here. Tweet to us on Twitter at @ncvps or with the hashtag #ncvps.
If you are not on the E-lert subscription list, but would like to be, please add your name toour list here.
Current E-lert News
New This WeekImportant From Last Week!In addition, be sure to check out all of our tips and reminders in this week’s e-lert.
Summer 2016 Updates
What’s New?We have posted our third progress report today in the NCVPS registration system. See the details below.Please remember that the last day to drop students for summer was Friday, July 1. However, schools can still withdraw students through the end of summer session. We will issue a W (withdrawal) grade for those students. Those enrollments will still count in the district’s or charter school’s allotment totals, but there is no penalty for students.Important DatesStart Date: Monday, June 20Day 3 Status Report: June 24. Find this document in the registration system. It will show which students have not logged in yet. Please contact those students.Last Day to Register: Friday, June 24*Last Day to Drop: Friday, July 1 – Some districts are on an abbreviated summer schedule for staff by this date. Be sure your summer students know who to contact in the district if they want to be dropped. NCVPS cannot drop students. This is an important date to keep on your calendar. This 1 is the last day districts and schools can drop students with no penalty for the student and no cost for the district or charter.Progress Reports Posted: June 30, July 7, 14, 21, 28, August 4, 11. Find these progress reports in the registration system.End Date: Friday, August 12Final Grades Posted: Thursday, August 18Summer 2016 Grade ReportingOur third progress report is now posted in the NCVPS registration system. Look for the report titled “Summer 2016 Third Progress Report Due July 12, 2016.”What’s Scheduled Next?Our next progress report will be posted on July 21.Reporting OverviewProgress ReportsSee how your students are progressing! We post progress reports every two weeks in the registration system.Grade ReportsOur grade reports are weighted grades similar to school report cards.Student Status (No-Show) ReportsNCVPS posts student status reports after the third and seventh days of class. These reports indicate if students have logged in or not to their NCVPS courses. These reports are early warning indicators for schools.Additional Grade Reporting ResourcesNCVPS is excited to announce that parents and guardians can now view their students’ progress in our Canvas courses. Observers have limited permissions that allow them to view what is happening in a course without interrupting the flow of daily course communication.Important Note: Parents will need their students’ login information to create their observer access. NCVPS will not be able to supply this information to them. Parents will need to get these details either from the local school or from their students. For more details, view our Observer Access web page here.Summer ResourcesFollow this link to see our checklist for students. Be sure your summer school students are aware of this link. It will get them off to a great start this summer.Getting Started for SchoolsFollow this link to see our checklist for school. This has all your details to run a successful summer program.CalendarsFollow this link to our summer calendar!
Health and Physical Education forms Now in Spanish
We have a great comprehensive guide for our Health and Physical Education courses. If you’ve not seen this resource, please check out the web page here.We have recently added a Spanish language version to the page. We hope this helps!
Fall 2016 Updates
Registration DetailsFollow this link to our registration system.If you need access, contact our Virtual Support Center here.Please remember that there is only one login per school. If your school already has access, you will need to share the login username and password.If you are new to the NCVPS registration system or need a refresher, the guide at this link will help.NCVPS is transitioning all of its courses to the Canvas learning management system. Currently, Canvas does not have the functionality to let schools calculate weighted marking period grades.In the past, NCVPS has posted grades in the NCVSP registration system following this process:
- Every two weeks we post an unweighted progress report.
- We post our first weighted grade report at midterm. This is our 1st marking period grade, and it’s weighted 37.5%.
- We then post the 2nd marking period grade (37.5%) at the end of term, along with the final exam grade (25%) and final grade.
- For EOC and CTE courses, we report the final classwork grade (75%), and schools calculate in the exam grades (25%).Starting in Fall 2016, NCVPS will post grades in the NCVPS registration system following our new process:
- Cumulative progress reports every two weeks.
- Final class average at the end of term (75%), along with the final exam grade (25%), and final grade.
- For EOC and CTE courses, we report the final classwork grade (75%), and schools calculate in the exam grades (25%).The cumulative progress reports are a very accurate indicator of exactly how a student is performing in the course. This is actually how we posted grades in our first two years, and it’s also how we still post summer grades.CalendarsWe have published our 2016-2017 Academic Year calendar. See all the dates here!Parent Observer Access in CanvasNCVPS is excited to announce that parents and guardians can now view their students’ progress in our Canvas courses. Observers have limited permissions that allow them to view what is happening in a course without interrupting the flow of daily course communication.Important Note: Parents will need their students’ login information to create their observer access. NCVPS will not be able to supply this information to them. Parents will need to get these details either from the local school or from their students. For more details, view our Observer Access web page here.Catalog UpdatesOur catalogs for the 2016-2017 Academy Year have been posted. See the listings here. We have updated catalog information below.NCVPS will offer the newly developed AP Computer Science course. Read more about this new course at the College Board’s website.To align with revised College Board requirements for AP Physics 1 and 2, we are revising the labs in these courses for the 2016-2017 school year. Students will require materials for these hands-on labs. We will post a list of required materials on our course description page later this summer.
Password ResetIf you have had your password reset, the new password will not expire unless you have reset it. If you have forgotten what your password was reset to, you can look up the help desk ticket to access the new password or click on “Forgot Password”.Course IssuesWhen requesting help regarding a course it always easier for tech support to respond quickly if we have the specific section name, for example:CourseSec01Sum16Opening a Ticket with the Virtual Support CenterWhen opening a ticket with the virtual support center, please always include the following:
- Student’s first & last name
- PowerSchool ID number (This will help ensure we have the correct student)
- School name (full name, i.e. Eastern Mills High School, not EMHS)
- Course name – if the student is already enrolled, include specific section, i.e. CourseSec01Sum16.If you need a new student account for a student who is new to PowerSchool (not just transferring schools), include the following:
- Your full school name (i.e. Eastern Mills High School, not EMHS)
- The student’s first and last name
- The student’s PowerSchool ID number
- The student’s email address
- The student’s phone number (the contact number this will be in PowerSchool)
- Does the student have an IEP? Yes/No
- Does the student have a 504 Plan? Yes/NoReplying to a Support Center TicketAfter you submit a ticket to the Virtual Support Center, you will receive a ticket confirmation and resolution via email. To expedite your resolution, please do not reply to the email. The email will have a link in it for your response. Please click on that link (see below).See image: http://screencast.com/t/ZdciZ55coU4This will put the ticket right back in the queue of the person who is working on your ticket. If you reply to the email, then that will have to be manually put into the ticket, and that can delay the process by several hours.Student Email Confirmations in Canvas and BlackboardIn Canvas:Click on “settings” on your name in the upper right side of your course.Click on “Add Email Address” under Ways to Contact on the right of screen.Add your correct email if Canvas is not displaying your correct email.Click on “Register email.”Click the star next to your correct email address.In Blackboard:Click on students name in the upper right side of your BB courseClick on settingClick on Personal InformationClick on Edit Personal Information to update e-mail if it’s incorrect.Scroll to bottom and SubmitStudent Logins:Students, are you having difficulty locating your class? During the 2016 Summer semester, NCVPS will be offering courses in two learning management systems, Canvas and Blackboard. If you are unsure which platform your course is being offered in, please follow this link:Blackboard Instant Messaging (BBIM)Students will need to click on the BBIM link in their class and create an ID and password that they will remember. NCVPS does not issue BBIM logins nor do we store this information.Bookmark NCVPS Login PagesMany students visit our homepage to log in to their courses. It is a best practice to bookmark the actual login pages for both Moodle and Blackboard. Please have students and lab facilitators bookmark the following pages:Blackboard: https://ncvps.blackboard.com/In addition, many school administrators visit our homepage to log in to our registration system or Virtual Support Center. Please bookmark both of these pages in your web browser:Registration System: http://registration.ncvps.org/ncvps/user/login/Virtual Support Center: http://www.help.ncvps.org/Tech RequirementsFor additional information, please see our Tech Requirements:
NCVPS is hiring course developers, writers, and designers.For details, visit our Develop for NCVPS web page here.Please forward this message to colleagues in your school or district who may be interested.Thank you!
NCVPS CoursesNCVPS offers over 150 different courses, including advanced placement, electives, traditional, honors, core, STEM, occupational course of study, and credit recovery courses.Check out our 150+ list of courses here.In addition to NCVPS courses, North Carolina public schools also have a list of approved third-party vendor courses that they may choose from for virtual classes. Please follow this link to see the list of approved vendor courses. More on the vendor approval process can be found here.
Here are the newest approved vendor courses: (Course Title – Vendor)Courses – VendorEdgenuity – MS Math 6Edgenuity – MS Math 7Edgenuity – MS Math 8Edgenuity – MS Social Studies 6Edgenuity – MS Social Studies 7Edgenuity – MS Spanish 1Edgenuity – MS Spanish 2Edmentum – AP LiteratureEdmentum – Career ManagementEdmentum – Entrepreneurship 1Edmentum – Principles of BusinessOdysseyWare – English 4
North Carolina Virtual Public School1017 Main Campus Drive, Partners I Bldg.,
Outreach and Support Coordinator
North Carolina Virtual Public School
910.644.0757North Carolina Virtual Public School | 1017 Main Campus Drive, Partners I Bldg.,SUITE 3900 | Raleigh | NC | 27606
NCVPS Virtual Support Center: http://www.help.ncvps.org/~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Note: All email correspondence to and from this address is subject to public review under the NC Public Records Law. As a result, messages may be monitored by and disclosed to third parties.