For my list entry this year, I thought it might be useful to post a list of K-12 online and blended learning books that I have on my bookshelf.
K-12 Online Learning
- Facilitating Online Learning: Effective Strategies for Moderators by George Collison and Bonnie Elbaum
- Essential Elements: Prepare, Design, and Teach Your Online Course by Bonnie Elbaum and Cynthia McIntyre
- The Virtual High School: Teaching Generation V by Andrew Zucker and Robert Kozma
These three books are from the original VHS pilot project.
- What Works in K-12 Online Learning by Cathy Cavanaugh and Robert Blomeyer
- Online Learning: Strategies for K-12 Teachers by Wayne Journell
- Virtual Schools: Planning for Success by Zane L. Berge and Tom Clark
- Making the Move to K-12 Online Teaching: Research-Based Strategies and Practices by Kerry Rice
- Handbook of Research on K-12 Online and Blended Learning by Richard E. Ferdig and Kathryn Kennedy
- Development and Management of Virtual Schools: Issues and Trends by Catherine Cavanaugh
- eLearnings: Implementing a National Strategy for ICT in Education, 1998-2010 by Vince Ham, Derek Wenmoth and Stephen Heppell
- Equal Scrutiny: Privatization and Accountability in Digital Education by Patricia Burch and Annalee G. Good
- Learning Online: What Research Tells Us About Whether, When and How by Barbara Means and Marianne Bakia
- Rethinking Education in the Age of Technology: The Digital Revolution and Schooling in America by Allan Collins and Richard Halverson
- The Open Classroom: Distance Learning in Schools by Jo Bradley
- What School Leaders Need to Know About Digital Technologies and Social Media by Scott McLeod and Chris Lehmann
- Effective Educational Partnerships: Experts, Advocates, and Scouts by Samuel Mitchell
These thirteen books are more research-focused, or at least based on some research or have academic/research-informed authors.
- Wired Together: The Online Classroom in K-12 : Teacher Education and Professional Development by Zane L. Berge and Mauri P. Collins
- Wired Together: The Online Classroom in K-12 : Writing, Reading and Language Acquisition by Zane L. Berge and Mauri P. Collins
- Wired Together: The Online Classroom in K-12 : Case Studies by Zane L. Berge and Mauri P. Collins
These three books are research-based, but were written in the very early days of K-12 online learning – so their value is a little limited given today’s landscape.
- A Classroom of One: How Online Learning Is Changing our Schools and Colleges by Gene I. Maeroff
- Cyberschools by Glenn R. Jones
These two books are written by folks with an academic background, but are both more akin to thought pieces.
- Online Teaching in K-12: Models, Methods, and Best Practices for Teachers and Administrators by Sarah Bryans-Bongey and Kevin J. Graziano
- So You Think You Want to Start a Virtual School: A Guide to Beginning the Process by Rachel Stout
- Handbook for Virtual Education and Educators: A School’s Guide to Starting a Virtual Program by Dr Marsheila Natachee Ksor
- Teaching on the Education Frontier: Instructional Strategies for Online and Blended Classrooms Grades 5-12 by Kristin Kipp
- Teaching and Learning Online: A Step-by-Step Guide for Designing an Online K-12 School Program by Shawn Morris
- Virtual Schooling: A Guide to Optimizing Your Child’s Education by Elizabeth Kanna and Lisa Gillis
These six books are written by practitioners in the field of K-12 online learning, so they are largely tales of what they did and a suggestion that you should do the same to have success. And the final one is really an advocacy piece.
- Free Online High Schools: Earn your high school diploma for free! by Thomas Nixon
- Finding an Online High School: Your Guide to More Than 4,500 High School Courses Offered Over the Internet by Vincent Kiernan
- Bakers Guide to Christian Distance Education: Online Learning for All Ages by Jason D. Baker
These three books are largely a listing of all of the K-12 online learning programs that the authors were able to find.
- The African Virtual School Maths Book by Mr Wilfred Wright
This book is a manual that is used by the African Virtual School (that I picked up somewhere along the way).
- Education Transformation: How K-12 Online Learning is bringing the greatest change to education in 100 years by Ron Packard and Cynthia Black
- Getting Smart: How Digital Learning is Changing the World by Tom Vander Ark and Bob Wise
- Education Reform for the Digital Era by John E. Chubb and Paul T. Hill
- The Kids That ECOT Taught by Bill Lager
- Disrupting Class, Expanded Edition: How Disruptive Innovation Will Change the Way the World Learns by Clayton Christensen, Michael B. Horn, and Curtis W. Johnson
- Saving Schools: From Horace Mann to Virtual Learning by Paul E. Peterson
- Private Enterprise and Public Education by Frederick M. Hess and Michael B. Horn
- Liberating Learning: Technology, Politics, and the Future of American Education by Terry M. Moe and John E. Chubb
These eight books are written by ideological proponents of K-12 online and blended learning, so the books are largely advocacy for increased cyber charter school activity with little or no regulation.
K-12 Blended Learning
- Blended: Using Disruptive Innovation to Improve Schools by Michael B. Horn, Heather Staker, and Clayton M. Christensen
This is another book written by ideological proponents of K-12 blended learning, so the book is largely advocacy for increased blended learning – often through charter schools – with little or no regulation.
Another moral to this story is that I need to increase my blended learning library…