Another item from Wednesday’s inbox…
ICDE Newsletter – 4 May 2016
ICDE Chairs in Open Educational Resources – call for proposals
ICDE is considering the extension of the network of ICDE Chairs in Open Educational Resources (OER). The network, where possible, works in collaboration with UNESCO and existing UNESCO Chairs in OER. For more information click here…
ICDE at eLearning Africa 2016: May 24 -26, Cairo, Egypt
ICDE will be represented by Dr Winston Machacha, at eLearning Africa 2016. Dr Machacha will be presenting on ‘Innovative strategies to make online education a reality in resource constrained environments: The case of ISCED’s online programs in Mozambique’. Dr Machacha is currently the Director of Information and Communication Technology at the Instituto Superior De Cienciase Educacao A Distancia Beira, Mozambique. Also attending and participating at the event will be ICDE Executive Committee Member, Maxim Jean-Louis, Chief Executive Officer, Contact North | Contact Nord, Canada. ELearning Africa, is a hub and networking forum for first-hand information and real-life examples of how ICT can advance the cause of equitable access to quality education for all in Africa. For more information, click here.
ICDE Members: Have you registered to take part in the regional ICDE Strategic Discussion focus groups?
ICDE members have been invited to participate in regional focus groups. The focus groups are open to ICDE insitutional member representatives, individual members and associate members only. The focus groups will provide an opportunity to review and give comments during the strategic planning phase for determining the ICDE strategic priorities for 2017-2020. To register for the focus groups click here. Please note you will need to login to register.
ICDE Webinar on SciPro: Register now! Thursday 26th May at 15.00(Oslo time)
SciPro (Scientific Process) is an IT support system for management and supervision of theses at bachelor, master and PhD education levels. It can manage theses at a whole university, fulfilling administrators’, supervisors’ and students’ needs during the whole process from start to finish.
Henrik Hansson associate professor at Stockholm University, ICDE member, will conduct a webinar about SciPro on Thursday 26th May at 15.00 (Oslo time), explaining concepts, provide demo and answer questions. Register here!
Save the Date for the next ICDE Webinar: Tuesday June 21 15h00 (Oslo Time)
The Webinar will be to present the book “Teaching Science Online: Practical Guidance for Effective Instruction and Lab Work”. More information will be available shortly on the ICDE website.
MARK YOUR CALENDAR!
Presidents’ Summit 2016
The New Era of Leadership and Quality:
The Business of Online, Open and Flexible Learning 2020.
Sydney, Australia: 20-23 November 2016
Hosted & organised by Charles Sturt University
Registration information, details on programme and venue will be available shortly. For more information click here.
World Conference on Online, Open and Flexible Learning convening in Toronto Canada: October 17 -19 October.
Hosted & organised by Contact North | Contact Nord
Mark your calendar and sign-up today at www.contactnorth.ca/icde2017 to receive updates and information on the ICDE 2017 World Conference.
The 2017 ICDE Presidents’ Summit will be held from the 15-16 October. More information will be available shortly.
Call for interest – 28th ICDE World Conference 2019
The International Council for Open and Distance Education (ICDE) is pleased to announce a Call for interest for the 28th ICDE World Conference scheduled for 2019 and asks member institutions to submit declarations of interest for hosting this conference. More information…
ICDE EVENTS – SAVE THE DATES!
- Registration open shortly – 2016 Presidents’ Summit: 20-23 November 2016, Sydney, Australia –
- ICDE International Conference, 10-11 March, 2017, Pune, India
- 2017 Presidents’ Summit 15-16 October, 2017, Toronto, Canada
- 27TH ICDE World Conference, 17-19 October, 2017, Toronto, Canada
ICDE Member and Partner News and Events
European open and distance teaching Universities decide on certified short learning programmes
European open and distance teaching universities decide on the large scale delivery of certified short learning programmes during the EADTU-EU Summit by signing a Memorandum of Understanding. For more information click here…
A Universitat Oberta de Catalunya (UOC) research project in collaboration with around fifty international experts outlines the shape of higher education beyond 2020.
“The university of the future will be more digital, flexible and specialized”. These are some of the main conclusions of a research project presented on UOC Research Week on the university of the future, which for a year has been prepared by around fifteen researchers from the eLearn Center, a UOC online education research and innovation centre, in collaboration with around fifty international and MIT experts. For more information click here…
The usefulness of learning analytics in supporting applied research and innovation in higher education
The Universitat Aberta de Catalunya (UOC), ICDE member, made a presentation on learning analytics at the European University Association Annual Conference that took place 6- 8 April in Galway, Ireland. Julià Minguillón, professor at the UOC’s Faculty of Computer Science, Multimedia and Telecommunications and member of the LAIKA e-learning research group, explained the usefulness of learning analytics in supporting applied research and innovation in higher education. For more information click here…
UNESCO/ICDE Chair in OER presents the project “The MIND of the Universe: An entry into the world of Open”
Fred Mulder, Emeritus UNESCO/ICDE Chair in OER and former rector of ICDE member the Open University in the Netherlands (2000 – 2010) presented the “The Mind of the Universe” project to the EU community on April 22. For more information click here…
The Open University Confers an Honorary Degree on Asha Kanwar
In a special convocation held at the Barbican Center in London, the Open University conferred an honorary Doctor of the University degree on Professor Asha Kanwar. The degree was presented by Dr. Peter Horrocks, Vice Chancellor of the Open University. Reading from the citation, Professor Belinda Tynan, Pro Vice Chancellor, said that the Open University “recognise(s) her exceptional contribution to global education, social justice and human development”. For more information clickhere…
Reports, Resources and Projects
New series of interviews on the latest development and thinking in online learning featured on the Contact North | Contact Nord faculty portal
A new series is featured on the Contact North | Contact Nord faculty portal teachonline.ca, member of ICDE. It is called INTERVIEWS WITH LEADING ONLINE, OPEN AND FLEXIBLE LEARNING PRACTITIONERS – and features podcasts of interviews on the latest development and thinking in online learning. For more information click here…
Germany: an alternative route to excellence
There’s a tension between Germany’s desire to be in the global elite of higher
education while remaining egalitarian. John Morgan reports. For more information click here…
International News Quick Links:
- We should now focus on quality education: Modi
- Austrade sets target of 110 million MOOC students for Australia by 2025
- Expert Voice: Online education is equally good
- 3 Ways Online Education Advances Residential Learning
- Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi – overwhelming evidence showing that South Africans prefer online services.
- Love Letter to Blended Learning
- China’s tech fever attracts US online education giant
- Jamaican online education platform featured on BBC
- ‘Stackable’ Credential Options Rise in Online Education
- Does online education promote academic dishonesty?
- Haiti Launches Its First Online Education Platform
- Bellevue U approaches online learning with liberal arts classroom model
- Supply is up in online ed but demand is down — now what?
- 5 Questions to Ask Before Pursuing an Online Associate Degree
- 61% of teachers in tertiary institutions unqualified – Survey
- For-Profit Education Sector Struggles With Enrollment; Apollo Doesn’t Bode Well for Others
- Broadband Internet to Reach 90% of Kazakh Students within Four Years, Education Minister Says
- MOOCs and higher education: evolution or revolution? Blog post.
- Higher education groups say Education Department’s proposed rules on teacher preparation program discriminate against distance education providers.
- Lessons About Online Learning
- African Universities urged to utilize online interactions
- Professors hate online education. To save colleges, they have to learn to love it.
- Africa: Online Education Is Equally Good
- An Online Education Game Changer
- Can an online education actually land you a job?
- Despite some professors’ discomfort, online ed here to stay
- Institute of Directors report says computer-based teaching would prepare students for a future when work is done by robots
- Chinese online gaming tycoon eyes education revolution
- CEO of Hujiang Online Education: China will Become the World Leader in Innovation
To stay updated on international news on open, online, distance education keep an eye on the ICDE news page.
- The Student of the future (5.5.2016, Netherlands)
- Gulf Education Conference and Exhibition (8.5.2016-9.5.2016, Jeddah Saudi Arabia)
- eLearning Africa 2016 – Making Vision Reality (24.5.2016 – 26.5.2016. Cairo, Egypt)
- GlobalMindED 2016 (9.6.2016 – 10.6.2016. Denver, Colorado)
- EDEN 2016 Annual Conference – #eden16 (14.6.2016 – 17.6.2016. Budapest, Hungary)
- EdTechXEurope 2016 (15.6.2016 -16.6.2016, London, UK)
- IITE UNIR 2016 Conference (184.108.40.2066 – 24.6.2016. Bogota, Colombia)
- GUIDE Conference, E-Learning 2016: New Strategies and Trends (22.6.2016 – 4.6.2016. Madrid, Spain)
- Global Ethics Forum 2016 (23.6.2016 – 25.6.2016. Geneva, Switzerland)
- ACODE: 2nd Inter-Institutional Benchmarking Summit (27.6.2016 – 29.6.2016. Canberra, Australia)
- 2016 – 3rd International Conference of the AVU (6.7.2016 – 08.7.2016. Nairobi, Kenya)
- ETWC 2016: Educational Technology to Improve Quality and Access of Education for Prosperous Society ( 31.7.2016 – 3.8.2016. Bali, Indonesia)
- 28th Annual EAIE Conference and Exhibition (13.9.2016 – 16.9.2016. Liverpool, UK)
- LangOER Conference ( 26.9.2016 – 27.9.2016. Brussels, Belgium)
- EdTech Sweden (20.10.2016. Stockholm, Sweden)
- EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2016 (25.10.2016 – 28.10.2016 . California, United States)
- 30th AAOU Conference (26.10.2016 – 29.10.2016. Manila, Philippines)
- 2016 ICDE Presidents’ Summit (20.11.2016 – 23.11.2016, Sydney, Australia)
Members who wish to feature their news, events and projects, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject header ‘NEWS’.
International Council For Open And Distance Education
International Council For Open And Distance Education • Lilleakerveien 23, Oslo, 0283, Norway •+4722062632
***Messages are posted in the language received.***
***Les messages sont affichés dans la langue dans laquelle nous les avons reçus.***
***Opinions expressed should not necessarily be attributable to CNIE. | Les opinions exprimées ne devraient pas être nécessairement attribuées à RCIÉ.***
CNIE | RCIÉ www.cnie-rcie.ca
Twitter = @cnie_rcie
Facebook = CNIE-RCIÉ
LinkedIn = linkedin.com/groups/8447350