Another item from Wednesday’s inbox…
Districts and Charter Schools,Please forward this E-lert to your school-level stakeholders. We often have enrollment information for counselors, grades for data managers, tips for lab facilitators, announcements for testing coordinators, and strategies for school leaders, all of whom support your district’s and school’s e-learning efforts. If you are having difficulty viewing this email, you may view it as a web page here.
NCVPS E-lert for April 27, 2016 – Spring Edition XIV
2016April 21: Progress reports for all classes posted in the registration system.May 5: Progress reports for all classes posted in the registration system.See the complete NCVPS calendar at this link.
Celebrate & Connect
Connect with us on Twitter!Find us here. Tweet to us on Twitter at @ncvps or with the hashtag #ncvps.
If you are not on the E-lert subscription list, but would like to be, please add your name toour list here.
Current E-lert News
New This WeekImportant From Last Week!In addition, be sure to check out all of our tips and reminders in this week’s e-lert.
A big thank you to all of our NC schools that allowed NCVPS to work with your students this past year in our Mastery Learning for First Time Credit program! Please take a few minutes to learn more about the program and how NCVPS can help you with your most challenging enrollment situations for students by clicking HERE . Mastery Learning can help when regular NCVPS enrollment options, Credit Recovery, or transfer options don’t work for a student.As we finish transitioning all courses to our new Learning Management System, Canvas, the last day for Mastery Learning for First Time Credit enrollments for Spring 2016 will be Wednesday, May 4th at 5pm. After this date, schools will want to consider NCVPS summer school options for students instead of Mastery Learning.Mastery Learning options will begin again in August. More details to come! Students who are currently enrolled in the Spring 2016 Mastery Learning courses will be allowed to continue working as planned.
Progress Reports Posted
The latest progress report is posted in the registration system for your review. Look for the report with this title:“Spring 2016 EC, CR, Block and YL Progress Report Due April 19, 2016”Check out the note below on “Grade Reporting” to see how to access grades and how to interpret the progress report.
One of our former students (now a college student) created this great summer session flyer for us.If you need a flyer to give to students, please feel free to use this. Alex created both a color and B&W version.Thank you, Alex!
What’s on the Schedule?April 21 – Progress reports for all classes. Look for the report with this title: “Spring 2016 EC, CR, Block and YL Progress Report Due April 19, 2016”Report DetailsSee the details below for all of our reporting.Progress ReportsSee how your students are progressing! We post progress reports every two weeks in the registration system.Follow this link to see the details on this progress report.Grade ReportsOur grade reports are weighted grades similar to school report cards.Follow this link to see the details on the latest grade report.Student Status (No-Show) ReportsNCVPS posts student status reports after the third and seventh days of class. These reports indicate if students have logged in or not to their NCVPS courses. These reports are early warning indicators for schools.Follow this link to see the details on student status (no-show) reports.Additional Resources
Registration Open for the
2016-2017 Academic Year
NCVPS registration for the 2016-2017 academic year is now open. This includes Summer 2016, Fall Block 2016, Yearlong 2016-2017, and Spring 2017.All enrollments are counted in your new allotment totals for 2016-2017.Schools will not use PowerSchool to enroll as anticipated. The cross-LEA feature is not ready for release yet, and the need to register is impending.We apologize for this inconvenience. We want our end users to have a good enrollment experience, and the cross-LEA feature cannot deliver that at this time. Fortunately, schools are already familiar with our registration system, so enrolling can proceed as usual.Registration DetailsFollow this link to our registration system.If you need access, contact our Virtual Support Center here.Please remember that there is only one login per school. If your school already has access, you will need to share the login username and password.If you are new to the NCVPS registration system or need a refresher, the guide at this link will help.CalendarsWe have published our 2016-2017 Academic Year calendar. See all the dates here!CatalogsOur catalogs for the 2016-2017 Academy Year have been posted. See the listings here.NCVPS Canvas OrientationNCVPS is moving all of its courses into the Canvas learning management system. Most of our courses will be in Canvas this summer, and the rest should be migrated by fall.We’ve added a Canvas orientation to our Getting Started for Students checklist here.Here’s a direct link to the orientation. Many districts are now using Canvas. We look forward to seeing great benefits from having a statewide system.NCVPS will offer the newly developed AP Computer Science course. Read more about this new course at the College Board’s website.Middle School Success 101Middle School Success 101 has been added to the course catalog for Summer 2016.Health and Physical Education
NCVPS will be offering the HPE – Health and Physical Education 1 credit course and the Health Education 1/2 credit in the summer. We will not be able to offer the Fitness-Physical Education 1/2 credit course because of the number of required videos students must submit to show mastery in four weeks. Also, it will be harder to see a change in the student’s fitness level in four weeks.
Students will have eight weeks to submit videos to show mastery and change in their fitness rate in the HPE – Health and Physical Education 1 credit course because both Health and PE will be covered each week in the eight week summer session. The Health Education 1/2 credit will still be offered in four weeks twice during the summer session. If you have any questions, please contact Karen Creech at email@example.com.
NCVPS Is Hiring Teachers
NCVPS is seeking North Carolina certified teachers in a number of subject areas. Most of our instructors teach during the day for schools throughout North Carolina, and then they teach for NCVPS in the evenings. You may know some NCVPS teachers at your school or in your district. Join them in teaching with us! We also have teachers who only teach for NCVPS. These are often teachers who have retired or have found working from home better suits their needs.We do have an application process that includes a professional learning course and teaching practicum. The skills developed in the course and practicum will enhance your classroom instruction, as well. You will learn new technologies and digital-learning strategies that can be applied anywhere. Also, our pay is very competitive and comparable to other online programs.Right now, we have a critical shortage in math teachers, but we also have a high demand in other areas:
- AP Calculus BC and AB
- AP Computer Science A
- AP Computer Science Principles
- AP Human Geography
- AP Music Theory
- AP Physics 1
- AP Physics 2
- AP Psychology
- Chinese 1-4 and AP
- Math (all levels)
- Psychology Honors
- OCS American History 1
- OCS American History 2
- OCS Applied Science
- OCS Biology
- OCS English 1, 2, 3, 4
- OCS Financial Management
- OCS Introduction to Math
- OCS LDME/ Math 1Learn more about teaching with NCVPS at this link.
Password ResetIf you have had your password reset, the new password will not expire unless you have reset it. If you have forgotten what your password was reset to, you can look up the help desk ticket to access the new password or click on “Forgot Password”.Course IssuesWhen requesting help regarding a course it always easier for tech support to respond quickly if we have the specific section name, for example:CourseSec01Spring16.Opening a Ticket with the Virtual Support CenterWhen opening a ticket with the virtual support center, please always include the following:
- Student’s first & last name
- PowerSchool ID number (This will help ensure we have the correct student)
- School name (full name, i.e. Eastern Mills High School, not EMHS)
- Course name – if the student is already enrolled, include specific section, i.e. CourseSec01Spring15.If you need a new student account for a student who is new to PowerSchool (not just transferring schools), include the following:
- Your full school name (i.e. Eastern Mills High School, not EMHS)
- The student’s first and last name
- The student’s PowerSchool ID number
- The student’s email address
- The student’s phone number (the contact number this will be in PowerSchool)
- Does the student have an IEP? Yes/No
- Does the student have a 504 Plan? Yes/NoReplying to a Support Center TicketAfter you submit a ticket to the Virtual Support Center, you will receive a ticket confirmation and resolution via email. To expedite your resolution, please do not reply to the email. The email will have a link in it for your response. Please click on that link (see below).See image: http://screencast.com/t/ZdciZ55coU4This will put the ticket right back in the queue of the person who is working on your ticket. If you reply to the email, then that will have to be manually put into the ticket, and that can delay the process by several hours.Student Email Confirmations in Moodle and BlackboardPlease have students confirm/update their e-mail. Here’s how to do that:In Moodle:Navigate to AdministrationMy Profile settingsEdit ProfileVerify or update e-mailScroll to bottom and “Update Profile”In Blackboard:Click on students name in the upper right side of your BB courseClick on settingClick on Personal InformationClick on Edit Personal Information to update e-mail if it’s incorrect.Scroll to bottom and SubmitIn Canvas:Click on “settings” on your name in the upper right side of your course.Click on “Add Email Address” under Ways to Contact on the right of screen.Add your correct email if Canvas is not displaying your correct email.Click on “Register email.”Click the star next to your correct email address.Student Logins:Students, are you having difficulty locating your class? During the 2016 Spring semester NCVPS will be offering courses in three learning management systems, Canvas, Blackboard and Moodle. If you are unsure which platform your course is being offered in, please see the “Student BB/Moodle/Canvas Login” link below:Blackboard Instant Messaging (BBIM)Students will need to click on the BBIM link in their class and create an ID and password that they will remember. NCVPS does not issue BBIM logins nor do we store this information.Bookmark NCVPS Login PagesMany students visit our homepage to log in to their courses. It is a best practice to bookmark the actual login pages for both Moodle and Blackboard. Please have students and lab facilitators bookmark the following pages:Moodle: http://moodle.ncvps.org/Blackboard: https://ncvps.blackboard.com/In addition, many school administrators visit our homepage to log in to our registration system or Virtual Support Center. Please bookmark both of these pages in your web browser:Registration System: http://registration.ncvps.org/ncvps/user/login/Virtual Support Center: http://www.help.ncvps.org/Tech RequirementsFor additional information, please see our Tech Requirements:
Lab Facilitator’s Guide
Do you have NCVPS students who are working in a facilitated lab at your school?We have a lab facilitator’s guide that is designed to provide an understanding of the basic processes and procedures that successful online facilitators use to support students.We reached out to North Carolina public schools and our partner schools in the Virtual Schools Leadership Alliance to pull together the most fundamental elements of facilitating online learning.Each time we visit a facilitated lab in North Carolina, we see a new process, a new innovation, a or just a new way of thinking in supporting lab students, and we add that to our evolving guide.
NCVPS CoursesNCVPS offers over 150 different courses, including advanced placement, electives, traditional, honors, core, STEM, occupational course of study, and credit recovery courses.Check out our 150+ list of courses here.In addition to NCVPS courses, North Carolina public schools also have a list of approved third-party vendor courses that they may choose from for virtual classes. Please follow this link to see the list of approved vendor courses. More on the vendor approval process can be found here.
Here are the newest approved vendor courses: (Course Title – Vendor)Courses – VendorEdgenuity – MS Math 6Edgenuity – MS Math 7Edgenuity – MS Math 8Edgenuity – MS Social Studies 6Edgenuity – MS Social Studies 7Edgenuity – MS Spanish 1Edgenuity – MS Spanish 2Edmentum – AP LiteratureEdmentum – Career ManagementEdmentum – Entrepreneurship 1Edmentum – Principles of BusinessOdysseyWare – English 4
North Carolina Virtual Public School1017 Main Campus Drive, Partners I Bldg.,
Outreach and Support Coordinator
North Carolina Virtual Public School
910.644.0757North Carolina Virtual Public School | 1017 Main Campus Drive, Partners I Bldg.,SUITE 3900 | Raleigh | NC | 27606
NCVPS Virtual Support Center: http://www.help.ncvps.org/~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Note: All email correspondence to and from this address is subject to public review under the NC Public Records Law. As a result, messages may be monitored by and disclosed to third parties.