From Wednesday’s inbox…
ICDE newsletter – 20 April 2016
NOW OPEN: Call for interest – 28th ICDE World Conference 2019
The International Council for Open and Distance Education (ICDE) is pleased to announce a Call for interest for the 28th ICDE World Conference scheduled for 2019 and asks member institutions to submit declarations of interest for hosting this conference. More information…
JOIN THE DISCUSSION: Towards ICDE 2020: The global facilitator for connected, quality learning
ICDE members are to be invited formally to particpate in the ‘Strategic Discussion Circle: Towards ICDE 2020: The global facilitator for connected, quality learning’. This discussion is open to ICDE members only and will provide an opportunity to review and give comments during the strategic planning phase for determining the ICDE strategic priorities for 2017-2020. An invitation email with a link to the discussion circle on the ICDE Community Platform will be sent within the next few days.
DEADLINE 25 APRIL: Calling authors and researchers for Insight Paper 1: Learning Analytics
The ICDE Research and Innovation Report (2015) recommended that ICDE develop a series of Insight papers that could reflect the emerging research and innovation issues that members were interested in.
This first call to action seeks writers and researchers who can collaborate with ICDE to produce our very first Insight paper on Learning Analytics. The first Insight paper will be desk-top published and launched at the President’s Summit in Sydney, November 2016 and through various ICDE media channels. Upon completion authors may even wish to develop the Insight paper into a research article for the ICDE Praxis Journal or present the work at the International ICDE Conference in Toronto, Canada, 2017. More information…
MARK YOUR CALENDAR!
World Conference on Online, Open and Flexible Learning convening in Toronto Canada: October 17 -19 October.
Hosted & Organized by Contact North | Contact Nord
Faculty & Instructors, Practitioners, Expert, Instructional Technology and Media
Professionals, Training Providers, Researchers, Consultants, Start-Ups, Policy
Makers, Academic Decision-Makers and Technology Makers
Keynotes, Practical Workshops, Interactive Panels, Hands-On Demonstrations,
Poster Sessions, Academic Paper Presentations, and Labs
Exhibitors of New Educational Technologies, Latest Platforms,
Software, and Solutions
Mark your calendar and sign-up today at www.contactnorth.ca/icde2017 to receive updates and information on the ICDE 2017 World Conference.
The 2017 ICDE Presidents’ Summit will be held from the 15-16 October. More information will be available shortly.
ICDE EVENTS – SAVE THE DATES!
- Registration open shortly – 2016 Presidents’ Summit: 20-23 November 2016, Sydney, Australia –
- ICDE International Conference, 10-11 March, 2017, Pune, India
- 2017 Presidents’ Summit 15-16 October, 2017, Toronto, Canada
- 27TH ICDE World Conference, 17-19 October, 2017, Toronto, Canada
ICDE Member and Partner News and Events
Open Praxis partners with the Open Education Consortium for publication of selected papers from the OEC conference
Open Praxis has partnered with the Open Education Consortium for the publication of some selected papers from their Global Conference in the journal in 2014, 2015 and 2016. The last conference was held recently in Krakow (Poland), 12-14 April 2016. More information…
For updates on the conference visit Twitter #oeglobal
Collaboration among ICDE members for the external evaluation of the Unit for Open Distance Learning at North-West University, South Africa
To ensure the quality of its Unit for Open Distance Learning, ICDE member, the North-West University in South Africa undertook an external evaluation in 2015. The external evaluation panel was composed of international and national experts that included ICDE members UNISA, Commonwealth of Learning, The Open University, Dublin City University and EATDU. More information…
UNESCO Panel on Financing for Education on 25 April 2016 will be web-streamed live
The panel on Financing for SDG4-Education 2030, organized by UNESCO in collaboration with the Global Campaign for Education, in the framework of the 2016 Global Action Week for Education will explore and define opportunities and challenges in financing the new education agenda, particularly in terms of addressing the needs of the most marginalized populations. It will take place on 25 April 2016 (10am to 12am), at UNESCO Headquarters in Paris, Room IV.
The panel will be web-streamed live and subsequently made available on the upcoming 2016 Global Action Week for Education via a dedicated webpage. More information…
The UOC is organizing its first research week to reflect on the university’s future
The Universitat Oberta de Catalunya (UOC) is organizing the first UOC Research Week, which will offer a series of free activities from 18 to 22 April and will be completed with a series of internal workshops. The UOC proposes a week full of activities with the goal of sharing with the community the latest developments and reflections. You can register for the various activities – all of them are completely free – using the registration form on the event’s website. More information…
Presentations from Action Lab on OER in Less commonly used Languages at the Open Education Global Conference now available
ICDE co-organized an Action Lab at the Open Education Global Conference that took place in Kracow on the 12-14 April 2016. Presentations given by Willem van Valkenburg, TU Delft and ICDE Secretary General are now available online. More information…
The Islamic Online University’s case study on the usage of Moodle: an Open source learning management system
On 6 February 2016, New Delhi hosted the first ever MoodleMoot, a conference for Moodle users in India. The Islamic Online University, member of ICDE, presented a case study on its usage of Moodle named: “Making Moodle Work for You”. It was presented at the conference by Mr. Farhan Karmali, Lecturer, Department of Information Technology, Islamic Online University, in presence of Mr. Martin Dougiamas, Founder and CEO, Moodle. More information…
Reports, Resources and Projects
Exclusive Podcast on the Future of Online Learning with Maxim Jean-Louis, CEO, ContatNorth | Contact Nord, Ontario’s Distance Education and Training
Maxim Jean-Louis is a Global thought leader in the area of Online Learning. He currently serves on the Executive Committee of the International Council for Open and Distance Education. Listen here.
Podcast with Dr. Ron Owston, Dean of the Eduaction at York University — Renowned Blended Learning Expert
Dr. Ron Owston, Dean of the Faculty of Education and former Director of the Institute for Research in Learning Technologies (now IRDL) at York University, Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Listen here.
Infographic: Keeping Pace With The Changing Face Of Online Learning
Over the past two decades the Internet has made it possible for anyone anywhere to pursue an affordable degree; for adults to continue their education in efforts to remain productive; and for universities to reach a greater number of people who want to learn. Infusing online learning into higher education provides educators with innovative ways to connect with students, wherever they are, and offers incredible, new career opportunities. This infographic by the Online Learning Consortium highlights a few of these changes. Read full article.
Whitepaper: How data can improve the quality of higher education
The Dutch higher education sector is increasingly recognising the potential for the vast volumes of data that it has at its disposal. What opportunities does learning analytics offer? And what challenges are the early adopters facing? This whitepaper describes how data can improve the quality of higher education. View the whitepaper here.
GOING DIGITAL: Faculty Perspectives on Digital and OER Course Materials
Quality and the cost of course materials for students emerge as the key factors that drive the decisions of college faculty about textbooks and other course materials. And although the movement to digital course content seems inevitable and a majority of the surveyed faculty express interest in adaptive technologies for their courses, it is also clear that college and university faculty have real concerns about some of the proclaimed instructional benefits of going digital. Read more on the key findings from the fall 2015/winter 2016 survey of 2,902 college and university facultyhere.
Call for Abstracts: EATDU Conference
THE ONLINE, OPEN AND FLEXIBLE HIGHER EDUCATION CONFERENCE: Enhancing European Higher Education ‘Opportunities and impact of new modes of teaching’ that will take place in UNINETTUNO, ICDE member, in Rome 19 – 21 October 2016 is calling for abstracts.More information…
Deadline for submitting: 1 May 2016 to firstname.lastname@example.org
International News Quick Links:
- Pursuing an online education can teach you about virtual communication skills and the importance of self-discipline.
- MIT Professional Education announces new online course on the Internet of Things
- Online Education as a Catalyst for Organizational Change?
- Lifelong Learning and Technology
- Online Education Provider Implements Five9 Cloud-Based Software To Support Services For 125,000 Active Students
- Online medium takes tertiary education to Africa
- Most K-12 online learning content does not meet needs of students with disabilities
- Compare Top Online, On-Ground MBA Programs Through Data
- Online training, summer camp part of Delhi govt’s education action plan
- Critics Assail Potential New York Move on Regulating Online Colleges
- Haiti – Education : Launch of the first educational online platform «Made in Haiti
- At hybrid learning conference, participants discuss how to get students who signed up for a traditional liberal arts experience excited about online education.
- Prestigious Online Education has Nowhere to Hide
- 4 Surprising School Supplies Online Students Might Need
- 8 Tools to Increase Productivity for Online Students
- Maizi Education Invited to SXSWedu, Speaking for Innovation in Chinese Education
- Online education takes off
- Developing digital strategies in teaching
- CCB cracks down on distance education centre offering fake certificates
- Student Congress Discusses Flexible Educational Pathways
- Is Online Tutoring the Future of Personalized Learning?
- UEW distance education graduates 1, 316 teachers
- Sheikh Thani bin Abdullah Foundation for Humanitarian Services (RAF) set to provide e-education in Syria
- Improving economy leads to lower enrollments at community colleges, report shows. Can online programs help stanch the flow?
- Texas Tech assistant vice provost wins state distance learning award
- Online Education Bringing Revolutionary Change in Arena of Education
To stay updated on international news on open, online, distance education keep an eye on the ICDE news page.
- CSEDU 2016 (21.4.2016 – 23.4.2016. Rome, Italy)
- Fujairah International Career and Education Fair (26.4.2016- 28.4.2016)
- International Conference on Adult Education (28.4.2016 – 29.4.2016. Pretoria, South Africa)
- The Student of the future (5.5.2016, Netherlands)
- Gulf Education Conference and Exhibition (8.5.2016-9.5.2016, Jeddah Saudi Arabia)
- eLearning Africa 2016 – Making Vision Reality (24.5.2016 – 26.5.2016. Cairo, Egypt)
- GlobalMindED 2016 (9.6.2016 – 10.6.2016. Denver, Colorado)
- EDEN 2016 Annual Conference – #eden16 (14.6.2016 – 17.6.2016. Budapest, Hungary)
- EdTechXEurope 2016 (15.6.2016 -16.6.2016, London, UK)
- IITE UNIR 2016 Conference (126.96.36.1996 – 24.6.2016. Bogota, Colombia)
- GUIDE Conference, E-Learning 2016: New Strategies and Trends (22.6.2016 – 4.6.2016. Madrid, Spain)
- Global Ethics Forum 2016 (23.6.2016 – 25.6.2016. Geneva, Switzerland)
- ACODE: 2nd Inter-Institutional Benchmarking Summit (27.6.2016 – 29.6.2016. Canberra, Australia)
- 2016 – 3rd International Conference of the AVU (6.7.2016 – 08.7.2016. Nairobi, Kenya)
- ETWC 2016: Educational Technology to Improve Quality and Access of Education for Prosperous Society ( 31.7.2016 – 3.8.2016. Bali, Indonesia)
- 28th Annual EAIE Conference and Exhibition (13.9.2016 – 16.9.2016. Liverpool, UK)
- LangOER Conference ( 26.9.2016 – 27.9.2016. Brussels, Belgium)
- EdTech Sweden (20.10.2016. Stockholm, Sweden)
- EDUCAUSE Annual Conference 2016 (25.10.2016 – 28.10.2016 . California, United States)
- 30th AAOU Conference (26.10.2016 – 29.10.2016. Manila, Philippines)
- 2016 ICDE Presidents’ Summit (20.11.2016 – 23.11.2016, Sydney, Australia)
Members who wish to feature their news, events and projects, please email email@example.com with the subject header ‘NEWS’.
International Council For Open And Distance Education
International Council For Open And Distance Education • Lilleakerveien 23, Oslo, 0283, Norway •+4722062632
***Messages are posted in the language received.***
***Les messages sont affichés dans la langue dans laquelle nous les avons reçus.***
CNIE | RCIÉ www.cnie-rcie.ca
Twitter = @cnie_rcie
Facebook = CNIE-RCIÉ
LinkedIn = linkedin.com/groups/8447350