I received a message from Brian Muys – Associate VP, Public Relations for American Public University System and am happy to pass on this correction for this Sloan-C newsletter that I posted.
Please note that the Sloan-C interviews reposted by Michael incorrectly list me rather than our president and CEO, Dr. Wallace E. Boston.
From Sunday’s inbox…
If you have trouble reading this e-mail, please click here
SPECIAL CONFERENCE EDITION: DECEMBER 2013
Individuals, Institutions and Organizations Committed to Quality Online Education
HIGHLIGHTS FROM:19th Annual Sloan Consortium International Conference on Online Learning
Online Learning: A Universe of OpportunitiesNovember 20-22, 2013, Orlando, FL
Attendance & Keynotes
RECORD-BREAKING ATTENDANCE – ONSITE & VIRTUAL!
This year’s Sloan-C Annual Conference on Online Learning brought together the highest number of attendees ever recorded at a Sloan-C event, with 2,036 on site attendees and over 1,500 virtual attendees, with attendee representation from all 50 states with onsite and virtual attendee representation from all 50 states and the District of Columbia.Everyone at Sloan-C would like to thank all of our attendees, sponsors and exhibitors for your participation. Because of all of you this event was a huge success!
Hal Plotkin (Department of Education, US): “The Role of Online and Technology-Enabled Learning in Meeting President Obama’s 2020 Graduation Goal” reviewed key aspects of the Department of Education’s Learning Powered by Technology plan, with emphasis on the role of online & technology-enabled learning in meeting President Obama’s 2020 graduation goal.
Daphne Koller (Coursera, USA) addressed “The Online Revolution: Learning without Limits” where a major transformation in higher education has seen the advent of MOOCs – massively open online classes (MOOCs) – top-quality courses from the best universities offered for free.
Anant Agarwal (edX & MIT, USA): “Reinventing Education” overviewed MOOCs and edX, and shared student stories that revealed how they are increasing access to education worldwide, including some recent research results that will allow us to improve education online and on campus, and discussed how MOOCs might evolve in the future. Today’s Campus Interviews 2013 Conference Interviews by Today’s CampusWatch the recorded interviews from this year’s event. Videos will be available on the Today’s Campus website starting Monday, Dec. 9th.
- Peter Malo, LLP Owner, Senior Consultant, BluDesygn-Consulting,
- David Wicks, Associate Professor, Seattle Pacific University
- Amy Gregory, Assistant Professor, University of Central Florida
- Amy McQuigge, Coordinator of Open Education, SUNY Empire State College
- Jean-Marc Wise, Assessment & Evaluation Faculty, Florida State University
- Ruth Newberry, Director, Online Campus, Duquesne University
- Karen Vignare, Associate Provost, Center for Innovationin Learning , University of Maryland University College
- Derrick Meer, President, Via Response Technologies, Inc.
- Brian Muys, Associate Vice President, Public Relations, at American Public University System
- Gail Matthews-DeNatale, Senior Faculty Fellow, Northeastern University
- Kathleen Ives, Acting Chief Executive Officer and Executive Director, The Sloan Consortium, Inc.
- Ryan Sweeney, Sr Manager, Business Development, cielo24
Upcoming Conferences 7th Annual Emerging Technologies for Online Learning International Symposium
April 9-11, 2014 · Sheraton Dallas Hotel – Dallas, TX
- Registration is now OPEN. Early bird pricing until Feb 10, 2014.
11th Annual Sloan Consortium Blended Learning Conference and Workshop
July 8-9, 2014 · Sheraton Denver Downtown – Denver, Colorado
- Call for Presentations is now OPEN! Deadline to submit is February 10, 2014.
Thank You Sponsors & Exhibitors A huge thank you to our 90+ exhibitors and sponsors, whose support is critical to the success of these events. Your continued support is the lifeblood of Sloan-C conferences, and we look forward to working with you again in 2014.Check out Sloan-C’s three annual events in 2014. Contact Patrick for details on sponsorship/exhibitor opportunities.
J. Patrick Wagner
Recorded Sessions View the proceedings. These recordings are available to all who attended the conference onsite or virtually.Missed the Sloan-C annual conference in Orlando?
Purchase the virtual package and get all session recordings for one full year!
Blog Posts View Photos Check out the photos of this year’s Annual Conference on Online Learning.Photo Galleries Social Media Stats #ALN13 was the #1 trending hashtag on Wednesday, Nov. 20, 2013! WOW!
- 6,130 tweets using #aln13
- Most popular topics tweeted about: #moocs #onlinelearning
- 182 pictures posted to instragam using #aln1
Contest Winners Many thanks to our social media contest sponsors and everyone who participated in the Social Media Contest and who posted on the various social networks using the #ALN13 hashtag.Contest winners are being notified via Twitter and/or direct email. Save the Date 2014
Next year’s event promises to be our best yet as we move into our 20th anniversary year for this popular annual conference event.SAVE THE DATE:
October 29-31, 2014
The Sloan Consortium, Inc. – PO Box 1238 – Newburyport, MA 01950-8238