From Thursday’s inbox…
The Other Child Left Behind,Challenges with Feedback in the ELA Online Classroon, Quality Instruction, Quality Courses…
Is this email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser.
October 2012 eNewsletter
In this issue: The Other Child Left Behind, Challenges with Feedback in the ELA Online Classroom,
High Quality Courses with High Quality Instruction, Upcoming Conferences & Events
Meeting the Needs of The Other Child
Some students struggle to keep up.
Others don’t even try.
Educators often focus their time and resources on students who struggle academically. The student with low motivation but the academic potential to excel, The Other Child Left Behind, can become bored and unchallenged. Some daydream in class, others don’t turn in homework, and many will not graduate. Though these students are unmotivated, they could excel with the right learning tools. The VHS Collaborative offers The Other Child Left Behind the chance to become an engaged learner, and the chance to take advantage of his or her skills to make it to graduation and beyond. Read more about the Other Child Left Behind.
Blog: Challenges with Feedback in the ELA Online Classroom
Helpful Tips on Quality Communication in the ClassroomOne of the biggest challenges facing ELA online teachers is the writing component in their classes. As we all know, the key to success in helping students improve their writing skills is feedback, and online students love detailed feedback—from both teachers and peers. No one likes to get a B or a C on an essay or creative writing piece with no comments or suggestions for improvement. ·
“I just wanted you to know that I look at the grades comments. I have always loved teacher feedback with the little notations. I just wanted to say thank you and please continue with the feedback and the little notes.” – VHS Student Read the full blog.
Video: High Quality Courses, Teaching, and Learning from VHS
Educating Students and Teachers with Quality Online Instruction
At The VHS Collaborative, our goal is to develop courses that inspire our students. We want to spark an interest in our students, to help them learn more, and to enhance their critical thinking skills. The outcome of this is that our students become productive, global citizens in this digital age.
The VHS Collaborative focuses on three main areas: high quality courses, outstanding teachers, and collaborative learning.
Our classes include students from all over the world, and put cultural knowledge at each student’s fingertips. Our collaborative tools help students interact with their global classmates and help deepen their knowledge of their world. View the video.
Upcoming Conferences & Webinars
Join The VHS Collaborative at iNACOL’s
Virtual School Symposium
Date: October 21-24, 2012
Location: Hyatt Regency New Orleans
601 Loyola Avenue
New Orleans, Louisiana 70113
Conference Workshop –
- Evaluation of K-12 Online – Sunday, 8AM-Noon (Amy Michalowski, Director of Academic Affairs, is co-facilitating)
- Building a Standards-Aligned Teacher Information System – Monday, 11:15AM-12:15PM (Mark Bucceri, Chief Learning Officer, will be a co-presenter)
- Designing a Digital District – Tuesday, 2:45pm – 3:45pm (Mark Bucceri, Chief Learning Officer, will be presenting and leading the discussion)
- Creating a Win-Win: How Quality Online Teaching Pays Off in Both Face-to-Face and Online Classrooms – Tuesday 4:30 – 5:30PM (John Englander, Director of Curriculum and Instruction, will be a presenting)
- Lessons Learned in Teacher Mentoring: Supporting Educators in K-12 Online Learning Environments – Monday, 10AM-11AM (Mark Bucceri, Chief Learning Officer, will be a co-presenter)
- Blended Learning from Your State Virtual School – Wednesday 10-11AM (Debbie Kenny, VP of Sales and Marketing, will be a panelist)
- Teacher Evaluation in the Real Virtual World – Wednesday 10-11AM (John Englander, Director of Curriculum and Instruction, will be a panelist)
For more information on the conference, visit: http://vss.inacol.org/
Also join us on November 14th, 2012 for our Monthly Webinar Series
Topic: Mentoring Teachers & Faculty Advising in an Online Environment
Date: November 14, 2012
Time: 12 noon EDT
Stay tuned for more information!
Copyright © 2012 The VHS Collaborative, All rights reserved.
We provide you with periodic news, events and promotions about online courses and 21st century teaching. If you wish to be removed from our list, please Unsubscribe below.
Our mailing address is:
The VHS Collaborative4 Clock Tower Place
Maynard, MA 01754