This showed up in my inbox yesterday.
Thank you for a great year!
The Sloan Consortium would like to wish everyone a safe holiday season and a Happy New Year. We look forward to providing improved services and new benefits to our community in 2012.
In case you missed them, here are some highlights of 2011.
- The Quality Scorecard for the Administration of Online Programs is a convenient, efficient way to measure and build quality programs.
- The 9th Annual Survey of Online Learning: Going the Distance – Online Education in the United States, 2011 reveals that the number of students taking at least one online course has now surpassed 6 million. Now nearly one-third of all students in higher education are taking at least one online course.
- The Sloan-C Institute added three new specializations to the Sloan-C Certificate Program. Participants can now choose to specialize in accessibility, mobile learning, and social media. Learn more about the program here.
- Four issues of the Journal of Asynchronous Learning (JALN) were published and focused on blended learning, for-profit institutions, military leadership, and the impact of learning technology.
- The 17th Annual Sloan Consortium International Conference on Online Learning experienced a record breaking attendance of 1,488 onsite and 600 virtual attendees. View the photo gallery.
- Did your organization join Sloan-C in 2011? Remember to take advantage of the many free resources available to members. Check here to see if your organization is a member and follow the directions on the page on how to set up or affiliate an account with your organization.
Coming in 2012
The New Year brings new and exciting changes to the Sloan Consortium.
- The Sloan-C Member Catalog of Online Programs
Sloan-C regionally accredited institutions are invited to list their online programs. The programs will also be visible in the Catalog which visitors may search by discipline, degree level, and institution.
- The 2012 Sloan-C Online Education Research Symposium Series – Free
Sloan-C Online announces the 2012 Research Symposia, an online series of 4 virtual, interactive presentations on research of critical importance to educators engaged in advancing online and blended education. The symposia will familiarize participants with the current research in each of 4 areas via multiple perspectives and emerging trends. Participants can pursue particular aspects of the topics via focused discussions and questions to the presenters. Starts in January of 2012!
- New workshop topics in the 2012 workshop schedule. The Sloan-C Institute Team has been hard at work scheduling and gathering experts from around the country to create an exciting roster of workshops. The workshop schedule can now be sorted by date, title, level, and track.
- Join us at one of our face-to face events:9th Annual Sloan-C Blended Learning Conference and Workshop: Perfecting the Blend
April 23-24, 2012
Hyatt Regency Milwaukee – Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Early bird registration open!
5th Annual International Symposium for Emerging Technologies for Online Learning
July 25-27, 2012
The Venetian | Palazzo Resort – Las Vegas, Nevada
Call for presentations open until March 5, 2012.
18th Annual Sloan Consortium International Conference on Online Learning
October 10-12, 2012
Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort
Save the date!
The next cohort of the Certificate Program starts January 4, 2012.
The Sloan-C Certificate prepares educators to teach and improve online courses using the Sloan-C pillars of quality in online education様earning effectiveness, scale, faculty and student satisfaction, and access. A unique feature of the certificate program is that expert mentors work individually with each certificate candidate to accomplish specific goals.
The certificate consists of a 9-week foundation course and a variety of electives and specializations that focus on improving overall competency within a specific area of academic focus.
Interested in learning more? Watch the recorded webinar: Sloan-C Online Teaching Certificate Program.
Click here for more information or to register.
What our graduates have to say… The Online Teaching Certificate helped me to expand my base beyond the instructors who teach online at my home institution. The most valuable area for me was the interaction with other learners from institutions around the country. It was great to interact on common problems and see multiple solutions.
– Dr. Dorothy J. Anthony, DC, DACBN
Keystone College, La Plume, PA The hands-on workshops and individualized guidance from experts was valuable professional development. The Sloan certificate is recognized and respected in the higher education community.
– Barbara A. Frey, D.Ed.
Senior Instructional Designer, University Of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
The Sloan Consortium (Sloan-C), sponsored by the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, is composed of institutions and organizations dedicated to continually improving the quality, scale, and breadth of their online programs, according to their own distinctive missions, so that education becomes a part of everyday life, accessible and affordable for anyone, anywhere, at any time, in a wide variety of disciplines.
The Sloan Consortium – PO Box 1238 – Newburyport, MA 01950-8238