From Thursday’s inbox…
VOLUME 12, ISSUE 3, March 2013
Individuals, Institutions and Organizations Committed to Quality Online Education
Call for Presentations Now Open: 19th Annual Sloan-C International Conference on Online Learning
Call for Presentations Deadline – May 20, 2013
We invite you to submit a proposal for presentation and/or workshops for the 19th Annual Sloan-C International Conference on Online Learning to be held November 20-22 at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort in Lake Buena Vista, FL.
The theme of this year’s conference is “Online Learning: A Universe of Opportunities.” We are looking for proposals that are innovative and cutting edge and will provide important take-aways for participants. Proposals that address blended learning, issues of diversity, international applications of online learning, open educational resources, social networking, online learning and community colleges, and/or K-12 online education are especially encouraged. Last year’s conference attracted 1,550+ onsite and over 1,200 virtual participants to more than 280 presentations, as well as 69 exhibits, 40+ vendor showcase sessions, 15 pre-conference workshops, keynote and plenary addresses, and a variety of other special events.
Free Webinar: Increasing Student Satisfaction at Fresno Pacific University through the Flipped Classroom
Thursday, March 21, 2013
10 AM PST/12 PM CST/1 PM EST
Join us to hear from Robert Leitgeb, Director of Technical Operations and IT Projects and Adjunct Professor at Fresno Pacific University on how he used his background in educational technology to move to a Flipped Classroom model, increasing student satisfaction to 4.89 on a 5.0 scale. Hear the steps he took to make the change, and learn how your campus can support faculty in moving to a flipped model.
Register today at https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/262920082.
Hosted by Sloan-C sponsor Atomic Learning
Congratulations to ‘Best-in-Track’ Proposal Award Recipients
Best-in-Track Awards are given to the proposal in each conference track that has achieved distinction in the review process. Recipients will be honored at the 6th Annual Sloan-C/MERLOT Emerging Technologies for Online Learning International Symposium, which takes place April 9-11, at the Planet Hollywood Resort, in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Open and Accessible Learning Track: “MOOCs: Monetization Models and Pedagogy as Part of a State University’s Strategic Vision,” Catheryn Cheal, San Jose State University, USA.
- Learning Spaces and Communities Track: “Using Mobile Devices for Informal Learning of regulated Nurses in the Healthcare Workplace,” Dorothy (Willy) Fahlman, Athabasca University, Canada.
- Faculty and Student Development Track: “The Assessment and Development of Student and Faculty Readiness for Online Instruction,” Lynda Randall and JoAnn Carter-Wells, California State University, Fullerton, USA
- Innovative Media and Tools Track: “How to Teach Marketing Using an Interactive Simulation Based on a Real Pharmaceutical Giant,” Martin Rodriguez, IE Business School, Spain
- Evidence-based Learning Track: “Unpacking the Impact of High-Touch Online Instruction: Following the Data Trail Improved Student Outcomes” Catherine Honig, National Louis University, USA
FREE Sloan-C Accessibility Webinar Series 2013: Student & Faculty Success in Online Education – Only 2 Left!
The four part series of the Sloan-C Accessibility Webinar Series continues. The 90-minute webinars focus on accessibility, including federal regulations, available resources, invisible disabilities, and effective practices for student and faculty success. Each webinar brings together a panel of administrative leaders, faculty, and students with accessibility expertise from across the United States who will provide individual and collective perspectives to working with students and faculty with disabilities in online education.
Register for the remaining two webinars.
PAST WEBINAR RECORDINGS:
Are You Ready to Teach Online? Learn More About the Sloan-C Certificate Program
March 19, 2013 – 3:00pm – 4:00pm ET
FREE – REGISTER
Are you interested in the Sloan-C Institute Certificate? Do you have questions about how the program works? Learn more about how the Sloan-C Institute Certificate program prepares educators to teach and improve online courses using the Sloan-C pillars of quality in online education—learning effectiveness, scale, faculty and student satisfaction, and access. During the webinar you will have the opportunity to meet some of the mentors and graduates of the Sloan-C Institute Certificate program.
Institute for Emerging Leadership in Online Learning 2013 – Application Deadline April 26
The Institute for Emerging Leadership in Online Learning (IELOL) is a unique blended-learning leadership development program sponsored by Penn State and the Sloan Consortium. This institute is designed to serve the leadership development needs of professionals in the rapidly expanding field of online learning.
- Develop an understanding of the role of online learning in a rapidly changing higher education context
- Conceptualize a leadership perspective to address institutional challenges in higher education
- Recognize and seize institutional opportunities for leadership in online education
- Establish a network of international colleagues involved in a variety of online education initiatives
Applications, with supporting nominations, will be reviewed at the close of the application deadline, April 26th. Enrollments for IELOL are limited to 40 participants.
Sloan-C Fellows Class of 2013 Call for Nominations
On 23 December 2009, the Board of Directors of the Sloan Consortium voted to establish the Sloan-C Fellows Program. Recognition as a Sloan-C Fellow is one of unusual professional distinction and is conferred by the Sloan-C Board of Directors upon individual members of the Sloan Consortium who have:
- outstanding and extraordinary qualifications in the field of online learning;
- significant experience in online learning or an allied field;
- a record of distinguished service to Sloan-C or the field; and
- extraordinary contributions or leadership in the field of online learning.
Learn more about the nomination process.
Sloan-C Conference News
ET4Online 2013 – Virtual Attendee Options and Notes for Onsite Attendees
Can’t travel to Las Vegas? Register for the virtual attendee option.
Does your university continue to restrict your travel budget? We offer options that allow participants to make the conference come to them! The virtual attendee option provides the opportunity for individuals and institutions to attend select sessions of the conference via live webcast services provided by Mediasite.
A selection of 60+ sessions will be broadcast live, including the keynote and plenary sessions, workshops, featured sessions, Best-in-Track sessions, select information sessions, and key vendor showcase sessions. On-demand access of all recorded sessions is provided to onsite and virtual attendees post-conference for one year.
10th Annual Blended Learning Conference and Workshop – Early Bird Registration Now Open
Early bird registration is now open for the 10th Annual Sloan Consortium Blended Learning Conference and Workshop, to be held July 8-9, 2013 in downtown Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Register now and save $50 on your fee; additional discounts apply for Sloan-C members and University of Wisconsin system attendees.
Keynote – Dr. Alec Courous (Associate Professor of Educational Technology and Media at the University of Regina): “Blended Learning In a Networked Age”.
Sloan-C Institute Features
March’s Featured Certificate Graduate
Katherine Olukemi Bankole-Medina, Coppin State University
Katherine Olukemi Bankole-Medina is a professor of history at Coppin State University specializing in African American History and African American Studies.
A veteran online teacher and moderator of History is a State of Mind blog, Katherine presented before and after revisions and improvements to her course World History to 1500 in her Certificate Program final portfolio presentation in February. Included were highlights of the impact of the nine-week foundations course and three elective workshops on her course design and teaching philosophy.
Read more about Katherine.
March’s Featured Workshop Facilitator
Holly Rae Bemis-Schurtz
Holly Rae Bemis-Schurtz has been facilitating Sloan-C workshops since 2009 and has previous experience as an educational technologies specialist, instructor, and an online course quality mentor at New Mexico State University. A consultant for Sloan-C, she produced the mobile learning and social media workshops during 2012 and is collaborating on conference community engagement in 2013.
Participants in the Twitter workshop stated that Holly was a fantastic facilitator who was prompt and knowledgeable which created a great workshop experience. The interactions she encouraged in Twitter, along with her highly effective modeling of teaching in 140 characters, made for an engaging and informative workshop.
Read more about Holly.
Newest Sloan-C Certificate Graduates
Congratulations to the latest graduates of the Sloan-C Certificate Program. Learn more about the program here.
- Brandee Ortery, Western Technical College
- Gina Papa, University of South Georgia
- Petra Strassberg, Texas A&M University-Commerce
- Moses Wekesa, Coppin State University
- Brian Wooten, Kennesaw State University
- Cathy Earl, American Sentinel University
- Dionne Curbeam, Coppin State University
- Adam Bulizak, Hondros College
- Alison Hedrick, Kennesaw State University
- Serge Gerin-Lajoi, University Laval – BSP Quebec
- Brent Wetwiska, Southern Nazarene University
- RC Callahan, Weber University
- Carrie Hall, Miami University of Ohio
- Katherine Bankole-Medina, Coppin State University
- Craig Kawaoka, University of Western States
Webinars Mar 14, 12:00 PM ET: Faculty Panel: What Faculty with Disabilities Want Institutions to Know Mar 19, 3:00 PM ET: Are You Ready to Teach Online? Learn More About the Sloan-C Certificate Program – FREE Keep In Touch Do you know people who’d like to receive the Sloan-C View? Ask them to sign up for the Sloan-C mailing list.Please e-mail email@example.com with any questions or comments. Advertise Now you can advertise your products and services to Sloan-C’s community of educators who are interested in quality online education. Details. Sloan Consortium (Sloan-C) is composed of individuals, institutions and organizations dedicated to continually improving the quality, scale, and breadth of their online programs, according to their own distinctive missions, so that education becomes a part of everyday life, accessible and affordable for anyone, anywhere, at any time, in a wide variety of disciplines.The Sloan-C View is published by Sloan Consortium (Sloan-C®). Responsibility for the contents rests with the authors and not with Sloan-C®. Copyright ©2002-2013 by Sloan-C®.
This issue is being sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Sloan Consortium, PO Box 1238, Newburyport, MA 01950-3908