From yesterday’s inbox…
Beyond Top Down Forum, NWP/DML, ETLO/EDC (blended learning), ASCD, Project Red, PLP, Intel, open houses Is this email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser.
Welcome back to Connected Educator Month!
Beyond Top Down Forum Launches
The last of the official CEM forums is now open—come join the fun and make your voice heard when we report back in to the US Department of ED at the end of the month!
- Founders & Special Guests: Shelly Blake-Plock, Suzie Boss, Alec Couros, Lisa Dabbs, Dedy Fauntleroy, Bill Ferriter, Judi Fusco, Scott McLeod, Howard Rheingold, Lisa Schmuki, Cheryl Sliteanu, Shelly Terrell, Tom Whitby
- Moderated by Steve Hargadon—get inspired and make a difference!And in case you missed it, here are links to the other main forums that will be culminating in the closing events for the month.
- It’s Personal: Personalized Learning for Students & Teachers
- The First Six Weeks: Getting 2012-13 Off To The Right Start
- Professional Learning in the Learning Profession: 21st Century PD
- Giving Credit Where Credit Is Due: Incenting and Recognizing Educators For Their Investments In Learning
- Knocking On the Door: Connected Education and New Technologies
The CEM Calendar has been improved again…now in addition to being able to easily find all the ongoing events in one place (a list we’re still adding to), you can toggle between upcoming events and the full calendar.http://bit.ly/cem12NWP, DML: Elyse Aidman-Aadahl on Connected Learning LIVE Today (Aug 14, 1 PM ET)
Dr. Elyse Aidman-Aadahl, the National Writing Project’s Director of National Programs and Site Development, as well as principal investigator of the NWP’s Digital Is grant from the MacArthur Foundation’s Digital Media & Learning Initiative, joins DML for a discussion of NWP’s work in the context of connected learning.
Project RED: Research-Based Technology Implementation LIVE today (Aug 14, 2 PM ET)
A special webinar for school districts and all those who love them (including us!)—Project RED presents its guide to successful technology implementation (based on research with 1,000 schools), its new Project RED community, and other resources available to help facilitate tech integration.
ETLO/EDC: Blended Learning Webinar LIVE Today (August 14, 3PM ET)
Blended learning has created a huge buzz but do we really know what it is, how to implement it effectively, and how to prepare teachers to teach and assess learning in a blended environment? EdTech Leaders Online at Education Development Center will celebrate Connected Educators Month with an open discussion about how blended learning creates connected educators and students.
ASCD: Delayed Gratification Webinar LIVE Today (Aug. 14, 3 PM ET)
Reminder that neurologist and educator Dr. Judy Willis will be talking today (Tuesday) at 3 PM ET (multi-tasking, anyone?) about how resisting immediate gratification and long-term goal development can be developed in students. Register for the event here!
iCollaboratory Workshop Today (Aug 14, 1-3 PM ET)
The iCollaboratory will be holding a workshop this afternoon from 1-3 PM ET. Participants will receive free iCollaboratory accounts and learn hands-on how to have students participate in one of the many free sponsored projects, learn how to create their own projects, and discuss using online tools for education
Taking IT Global (1:30 PM ET), Academic Partnerships Open Houses
Taking IT Global will be holding an open house from 1:30-2:30 PM ET today. Come explore the community and talk live with community staff (program manager Kate Gatto) and members as you do via CEM’s special open house taskbar. It’s also the last day of Academic Partnerships Faculty Commons open houses—drop in any time today!
PLP: Peek Into the Life of A Connected Learner, LIVE Today (Aug 14, 12 PM ET), Additional Opportunities Upcoming
Powerful Learning Practice lets you take a closer look at the connected learning life in a special webinar today. Find out how to learn like connected learners do – through action research, lesson plan studies, virtual classroom visits, and more. Register for this free, one hour webinar, with multiple convenient dates and times, including today at noon!
More Great CEM Events & Activities
- Primary Source is holding a Twitter chat from 2-3 PM ET sharing new and exciting globally-themed books appropriate for K-12 classrooms
- Join Intel’s Julia Fischer for an overview of all the Intel Teach Elements courses, tonight at 8 PM.
- The Future Educators Association features an interview with TwHistory founder Marion Jensen (TwHistory allows educators to re-enact historical events on Twitter)
- Another professional development “snack session” from Teachers First from 7-8:30 PM, the topic: Energizing Math: Ideas, Resources & Collaboration for K-8 Math Teachers.
- The New Tech Network is holding a Twitter chat on project-based learning tonight at 9 PM ET. More details here.
For more CEM help and resources, see the CEM Calendar and the CEM Getting Started page, which includes links to our CEM Starter Kit, Help Desk, Book Club, District Starter Kit, CEM Supporter Kit and more.
The Connected Educators project is funded by the U.S. Department of Education under contract (ED-PEP-10-C-0059) with the American Institutes for Research in partnership with five organizations, including the Consortium for School Networking (CoSN), Forum One Communications, the Friday Institute for Education Innovation, Grunwald Associates LLC, and the State Educational Technology Directors Association (SETDA).
Copyright © 2012 American Institutes for Research, All rights reserved.
You joined our list through our website.
Our mailing address is:
American Institutes for ResearchAmerican Institutes for Research1000 Thomas Jefferson St NW
Washington, DC 20002